Mold Tips... Don't be Afraid to Ask
The wet winter and fluctuating temperatures create a favorable environment for mold issues this spring. Changes in weather create stress on structures. Structures that are stressed are prone to moisture and water issues. Mold is a secondary damage to water damage or excessive moisture. Preventing mold is a matter of keeping a structure dry by quickly repairing or cutting off a source of moisture and when you have a leak or larger issue, having it properly repaired.
Here are some Mold basics:
- Mold exposure can cause health effects.
- The best way to control indoor mold growth is to eliminate sources of moisture.
- If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture. Do this by fixing the source of leaks; reduce humidity in the atmosphere with proper ventilation and dehumidification if necessary; properly dry all building materials and furnishings if you have a floor or major leak.
- Insulate around windows and piping to minimize condensation on cold surfaces.
- Mold can only grow on organic materials (wood, paper, carpets and foods).
- The EPA recommends that homeowners limit their mold cleaning to small effected areas, 3ft x 3ft. The reason is mold spores are very difficult to kill and it is very easy to cross contaminate an area with the invisible spores.
SERVPRO is certified to clean and remove mold and we are happy to answer any questions you have. Give us a call if you want to discuss a mold issue or are in need of help.
Excess Moisture Is A Test For Structures
The wet weather we are experiencing will expose every vulnerability in your home's structure.
Signs of Trouble: The most obvious sign of trouble will be water staining or dampness. It is important that you identify and mitigate such damage quickly, both for the sake of limiting damage and assuring the damage is covered by insurance. A wind/storm event tends to be covered, while damage over time is often considered a maintenance issue and may not be covered.
Call SERVPRO of Waterbury if you have an issue. We will identify the source and mitigate the damage. Our team includes Certified Roofing mitigation specialists.
If you encounter visible mold, take care.
Do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do: * Stay out of affected areas.* Turn off the HVAC system and fans.* Contact SERVPRO of Waterbury for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:* Don’t touch or disturb the mold.* Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.* Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.* Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services: SERVPRO of Waterbury specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 1(203) 757-5050